Golf Holidays in England – West Lancashire Golf Club
The West Lancashire Golf Club was founded in 1873 by seven members of Royal Liverpool Golf Club anxious to expand the ‘Scottish national game’ by bringing it across the River Mersey.
As such, the West Lancashire Golf Club is the oldest in the county of Lancashire and one of the earliest golf clubs in England.
At the outset, both clubs shared the same membership and by 1903, five West Lancashire Captains had also been Captain at Hoylake.
Royal Liverpool’s Harold Hilton was also a member at West Lancashire when he won his two Open Championships and he was our Club’s first paid Secretary when he won the second of his four Amateur Championships in 1901.
The architect of the first course layout in 1874 is unknown
The present course, opened in 1961, was designed and laid out by CK Cotton, who lists Royal Lytham & St Annes, Ganton and Blairgowrie among his professional credits and it was one of his future colleagues, Donald Steel, who wrote that;-
“Only in Britain can one savour the true flavour of seaside golf of which West Lancashire is a perfect example”.
The present clubhouse, opened in 1962, was designed by London architects Tripe & Wakeham, and built by Holland & Hannen and Cubitts, as a complete break with the traditional, to be a two storey modern suntrap building with the principal rooms on the first floor featuring a broad terrace along the north side of the building overlooking the river.
More information about West Lancashire can be found by visiting their website www.westlancashiregolf.co.uk
We are members of the Travel Trust Association so all bookings made with us are secure and your money is always safe, something we think is very important in the current economic climate. We are also members of IAGTO, the InternationalAssociation of Golf Tour Operators who support golf tourism worldwide.
Quality Golf Destinations Ltd
PO Box 3186 | Biddulph | Staffs | ST8 9AY